Thought I would do a practical Blog his week, as a question came up in a group I am part of, and it reminded me how confused people are about Facebook.
How Facebook Used to Be
To overview the back story – until the end of 2017, it was possible to use various methods to quickly build a big and hopefully, engaged following on Facebook. A BIG algorithm change in Jan 2018 meant that all that changed.
Some businesses that were relying on their organic Facebook reach went out of business almost overnight. Others struggled – and still do – to get their Facebooks pages working effectively for them.
How Facebook is Now
The truth is that now it is impossible to get the reach and growth of pre 2018 organically. Facebooks stated reason – they want most of the posts and engagement to come from people you know rather than brands you don’t know. Real reason – they want you to spend money on adverts. Just my opinion you understand.
Having said that there ARE things you can do to increase your organic reach without spending money on ads (of course spending money on ads is quicker – IF you know what you are doing – otherwise it can be an expensive exercise).
How To Work With The Algorithm
So – here is what Facebook want you to do if you have a business page.
- The first thing you need to do is think about who might also have a business page on Facebook who might have your target audience. Make a list of 40-50 businesses. If you are local business wanting householders – this might be shops, restaurants, bars, local businesses, sports clubs, local associations or hobby groups, an airport, theatres, cinemas, taxi firms. If you are a services firm it might be associated services (so if you are an accountant it could be lawyers, financial advisors, printers, stationers, marketing companies etc – anything another business could use).
- Make a similar list of clients, or is you are just starting up -potential clients, or preferably BOTH. There is nothing more sure to bring you to the notice of your client or potential clients than what you are going to do in point 6 below – but don’t jump ahead yet. You need to do point 3 first.
- Go and find out if these businesses have a Facebook page. If they don’t – put them in touch with us (lol). If they do, then go and like those pages as YOUR page. If you aren’t sure how to do that watch this video…. Working With The Algorithm And make sure you are not liking Facebook created pages. When someone looks for a business that does NOT have a page on FB – F will create one and pull info in from Google. You will see it doesn’t really look like a page – and someone it will say – ‘unofficial page – no-one from X company is associated with this page’ or words to that effect. No point liking this page as it isn’t real.
On a side note – this is ONE very good reason why you MUST have your own official page. People can leave reviews on these Facebook created pages (some might call them ‘fake’ pages), and you will never now about it because it isn’t your page
- When you have done that for all your lists Go you your pages feed on your business page. You will find this on the right-hand side of your page – scroll down to under your number of likes. If it isn’t there – contact us and we will show you the back-end way to get to it.
- Your pages feed is where you will find – ALL IN ONE PLACE – the pages you have liked AS YOUR PAGE. This saves you masses of time from having to go search for each page individually like you did the first time.
- Now – go and like a minimum of 10 pages on your feed. Comment on at least 2 and share 1.This is what Facebook likes – when you are interacting as your page and sharing the love. It will also create opportunities for you to start conversations with potential clients. Added bonus.Do this for 3 weeks and watch your reach increase. If you don’t know how to check that – click “insights” at the top of your page and have a look around! There is a lot to it and that’s a subject for another day.If you’d like more tips like this go and follow our Facebook Page – Strategy Social Media